Many people spend long hours working or playing at their desks, but is your desk setup best suited to your needs? Many people have started to switch to standing desks, but is standing for long hours better or worse than sitting for the same amount of time? Whether you’re spending the time in front of your desk playing online casino games or compiling reports, we go through the advantages and disadvantages of both sitting and standing desks so you can decide what’s right for you.
A sitting desk is the type of desk that most people use on a daily basis and has been used for thousands of years, but does that mean it’s the best solution? Here are the pros and cons of sitting desks.
Pros of sitting desks
There are many articles discussing the negative effects of sitting, and unfortunately, there isn’t much science describing why sitting at a desk is good for you. However, this isn’t because desks are themselves inherently bad. Often the problems associated with desks are due to bad postural habits.
If you’re going to be sitting down for long periods of time, it’s best that you implement some of these tips from Healthline.com so as to minimize the negative impact on your body:
- Ensure your back has the correct amount of support.
- Adjust the height of your chair so that your legs are parallel to the ground, with the feet resting on the floor or a foot rest, and your arms in an L-shape by your side.
- Your computer screen should be at eye level, with your keyboard positioned in such a way that your wrists have room to rest while typing, and a comfortable mouse must be used.
- Keep things you use regularly within reach.
- Consider a hands-free kit or speakerphone if you spend a lot of time on the phone.
- Take regular breaks to give your eyes a screen break from working on a computer.
Cons of sitting desks
As we mentioned above, poor posture can lead to many problems when sitting at a desk. The article “14 horrible things that can happen if you sit at your desk for too long,” from Business Insider, highlights the main reasons you’d want to avoid sitting at your desk for extended periods of time:
- Less energy spent, and a lower metabolism which can lead to an increase in weight
- Negatively affected posture, including back and spine problems
- Decrease in social skills, and an increase in loneliness or depression
- Chronic pain
- Rheumatic health issues
- Increased risk of diabetes, cancer and heart disease.
A standing desk, as you can tell from the name, allows you to work while standing. There has been a lot of hype and research into the benefits of standing desks over the recent years, but do they deserve the praise? While they undoubtedly offer a lot of benefits, more recent findings have found that there are downsides to standing desks as well. Here are the pros and cons of using a standing desk:
Pros of standing desks
Again we turn to Healthline.com to share with you some of the benefits that standing desks offer. The benefits described in its article “7 benefits of a standing desk” include:
- Reducing your chances of gaining weight and becoming obese
- May lower your blood sugar levels
- May lower your risk of heart disease
- May reduce back pain
- Can improve mood and energy levels
- Might improve productivity.
Cons of standing desks
While standing has the scientific backing to show that it is better for you, a standing desk can still affect your body in a negative way. Most people who use standing desks have experienced a number of problems, which WebMD highlights in its article “Standing desks: How they help you beat inactivity.” These issues include.
- Pain in your legs and feet, as well as your hips and knees when standing still for long periods of time
- Can lead to higher risk of varicose veins
- Doesn’t replace exercise
- Not suitable for all types of tasks.
What is the best solution?
While both of these types of desks have their pros and cons, the reality is that standing for too long might be as problematic as sitting for too long. Thankfully there is a solution that offers you the best of both worlds: height-adjustable desks, also known as sit/stand desks.
These are deskspace solutions where you can, as you may have guessed, adjust the height to flexibly suit your needs. Some of these desks have manual systems, such as cranks, while others use automatic systems, such as electronics, to allow users to change the height. These desks combine the advantages of both sitting and standing desks, but cost more due to their complexity.
If you’re looking for a solution that addresses all your needs (including the time you may spend playing casino table games or having fun at a live casino online,) and to pay for itself in the long run, it may well be worth looking at spending a bit more to purchase one of these hybrid workstations. Ultimately, though, it’s up to you to decide what works best for you. Just remember to take screen breaks, however your desk is set up – for your sanity if nothing else!
Whether you’re sitting or standing, you can have a great time at BetMGM
No matter how you choose to play casino games, you’re bound to have fun when you visit BetMGM. At our online casino, you can enjoy the best casino games including online poker, online slots, live dealer games, and more!
But that’s not all when you sign up at BetMGM. If you enjoy betting on a variety of sports, you can also take advantage of great sports-betting odds at our online sportsbook!