The 2019-2020 NBA season is starting to show the lay of the land leading up to the playoffs. We have seen surprises, like the Warriors dreadful start and the impressive start by the Heat. While some teams are looking forward to potentially playing in the playoffs this season, others have already cast an eye on the NBA draft prospects for next year.
Good NBA draft picks can bring tremendous talent to underperforming rosters, especially those in the midst of a rebuilding phase. The Bucks, for example, must be enjoying every minute of their 2013 NBA Draft pick, Giannis Antetokounmpo. If the Bucks decide to trade Antetokounmpo, they can be sure to get one of the best deals in the NBA.
For the lower ranking teams, there is the solace of taking part in the NBA Draft Lottery to secure the first pick of the draft. The first four picks are decided by the lottery, and the remaining teams pick in inverse order of their win-loss record over the preceding season. Since 2019, the NBA Draft Lottery odds for the bottom three teams are equal at 14% each, while the number of teams selected in the lottery was increased from three to four.
When looking at NBA mock draft lists, it can be easy to just focus on the top five ranked players. History has often shown how a lower-ranked player could be a future NBA All-Star draft pick as well. Antetokounmpo was the 15th overall pick, as was Kawhi Leonard. Kobe Bryant was the 13th overall pick. All three are examples of how the best NBA players don’t always start with the most hype.
The 2020 NBA draft prospects look strong, but it is doubtful that it will be the best NBA draft class of recent years. Last year’s NBA draft had players like Zion Williamson and Ja Morant who carry immense potential for the future. The 2019 NBA Draft averaged over 3 million viewers with many keeping up-to-date with an NBA draft tracker. Ultimately time will tell how the 2020 NBA Draft grades in comparison to the 2019 NBA Draft.
2020 NBA Mock draft – first round
With the 2020 NBA Draft date set for 25 June 2020, you’ll gradually see an increasing amount of NBA mock draft lists appear over the coming months. These NBA Draft projections could alter dramatically over the course of the year as each player will play their heart out. Here is our latest 2020 NBA mock draft:
1. Cleveland Cavaliers: James Wiseman, C, Memphis
2. New York Knicks: Anthony Edwards, SG, Georgia
3. Chicago Bulls: Cole Anthony, PG/SG, North Carolina
4. Atlanta Hawks: RJ Hampton, PG, New Zealand Breakers (NBL)
5. Washington Wizards: Deni Avdija, SG/SF, Maccabi Tel Aviv
6. New Orleans Pelicans: LeMelo Ball, PG, Illawarra Hawks (NBL)
7. Golden State Warriors: Nico Mannion, PG, Arizona
8. San Antonio Spurs: Theo Maledon, PG, Villeurbanne
9. Boston Celtics (from Grizzlies): Jaden McDaniels, SF/PF, Washington
10. Oklahoma City Thunder: Isaiah Stewart, C, Washington
11. Minnesota Timberwolves: Scottie Lewis, SG/SF, Florida
12. Charlotte Hornets: Tyrese Maxey, SG, Kentucky
13. Detroit Pistons: Precious Achiuwa, PF, Memphis
14. Sacramento Kings: Josh Green, SG, Arizona
15. Phoenix Suns: Matthew Hurt, PF, Duke
16. Atlanta Hawks (from Nets): Tre Jones, PG, Duke
17. Portland Trail Blazers: Bryan Antoine, SG, Villanova
18. Orlando Magic: Wendell Moore, SF, Duke
19. Dallas Mavericks: Trendon Watford, SF/PF, LSU
20. Milwaukee Bucks (from Suns): Kahlil Whitney, SF/PF, Kentucky
21. Houston Rockets: Vernon Carey, C, Duke
22. Oklahoma City Thunder (from Nuggets): Patrick Williams, SF/PF, Florida State
23. Miami Heat: Devon Dotson, PG, Kansas
24. Los Angeles Clippers (from Philadelphia): Josiah James, SG, Tennessee
25. Brooklyn Nets (from 76ers): Ayo Dosunmu, PG/SG, Illinois
26. Utah Jazz: Killian Hayes, PG/SG, Cholet
27. Boston Celtics: Ashton Hagans, PG, Kentucky
28. Toronto Raptors: Jalen Smith, PF, Maryland
29. Boston Celtics (from Bucks): A.J, Reeves, SG, Providence
30. Los Angeles Lakers: Malcolm Cazalon, SG, Bourg
The 2020 draft prospects
Towards June, NBA news will be dominated by the NBA draft rumors. The top NBA draft prospects would have established themselves, and teams will already be looking at which draftees could work well with the NBA players on their rosters.
For the moment, the top NBA draft prospects are the players who stood out in high school. These are James Wiseman, Cole Anthony, and Anthony Edwards. James Wiseman is a tall center who has impressive athleticism and is fierce around the rim. For his size, he has great mobility and looks like he would fit into the NBA without too much difficulty.
Cole Anthony was outstanding in high school and has already turned up in form for North Carolina. He is the type of scoring point guard that all NBA teams want.
Anthony Edwards is another excellent guard prospect. He has great scoring versatility and has the size and mobility to be a strong defender as well.
Another player who could be a top pick is LeMelo Ball. Ball has been making NBA draft news with his performances in Australia. With his brother Lonzo at the Pelicans, there is sure to be NBA rumors of a potential pick early in the first round.
One thing is certain though, once the NBA draft results are finalized and the rosters are updated, there will be a host of young talent looking to make a name for themselves in the NBA.
Betting on the future
Making NBA predictions can be challenging, especially with so much of the season still to play. The final regular-season standings will have a big impact on the NBA draft picks and the order of the teams involved.
Sports betting websites will be running sports betting lines on who the number 1 pick will be. The NBA Draft Lottery also draws significant interest on sports betting sites. With the lottery being somewhat random, the sports betting odds make for an exciting bet.
Sports betting can add excitement to just about any game, especially when your favorite team is involved. Learning how to bet on sports is not at all complicated. There are a host of sports betting tips available online to ensure that it is responsible, enjoyable and legal.
Legal online sports betting is growing in popularity, especially in the USA. For registered online sports betting sites, the USA has legalized online sports betting in specific States. Make sure that the online sportsbook you register with is licensed by a respected regulatory body in the State in question.
Finding the best online sportsbook requires researching the best welcome bonuses and betting variety. When making a bet, any sports games should have varying categories and parlays. These can include scores, player performances, and the eventual winners. Register with BetMGM for a comprehensive and legal online sports betting experience.