Game marathons are long-running events that benefit streamers by boosting their audience. There are many variety games for your marathon, but gaming for long periods is something you need to prepare for, just like other marathons, tournaments, and events.
Why Is Preparing for a Marathon Essential?
Sitting in front of screens for long periods isn’t too great for one’s health and well-being. When preparing for a long live-stream event, it’s crucial to make sure you stay healthy and energized during the marathon. If you don’t, it can also cause aches and pains, especially if you’re not paying attention to posture. Whether it’s video games or online casino games, there are many options for you to choose from. First, pick your game and plan how many hours you’ll stream for and charge your console. The next step is to prepare ways to help you stay healthy during your marathon.
Healthy Ways To Prepare for a Marathon
Here are a few health-related tips on how to prepare for your next marathon.
Getting quality sleep every night is essential for human beings. It’s one way of making sure we’re well-rested to function throughout the day. Sleeping enough is also crucial for your physical health and emotional well-being. The importance of sleeping well before a marathon is that it helps you feel energized and ready to tackle any game you choose to play. Sleeping well after your marathon will help your body rest and recover after staying active for prolonged periods. If you plan on drinking caffeine during your marathon, try to pace it. A lot of caffeine in a short time can ironically cause the body to feel tired a lot quicker.
Drinking enough water helps you to feel energized. Staying hydrated during your marathon will help to clear your mind and improve your mood, allowing you to feel more excited and happy during the stream. You will also feel more focused and alert. Concentration is necessary when completing a marathon; drinking enough water will help you accomplish that.
Invest in a Comfortable Chair
Joseph Pilates, the inventor of the Pilates exercise craze, is famously quoted as saying, “You’re only as young as your spine is flexible.” Your posture is important. When sitting at a desk for a long time, you can easily slip into positions that are not good for your spine. Investing in a quality gaming chair will help improve your posture and prevent your body from all sorts of aches and pains. When looking for a good quality chair, make sure it has the following features:
- Lumbar support: A chair with curved back and neck support will help you maintain a healthy posture.
- Comfortable armrests: Armrests are necessary when your arms tire from holding your controller up for a long time.
- Footrests: It’s necessary to look for a chair with a footrest that elevates your feet to promote healthy blood flow. If you can’t find a chair with built-in footrests, any comfortable object that will serve the same function will do.
- Reclining mechanisms: A reclining chair will allow you to take breaks from sitting up for so long.
Due to the prolonged use of their hands, gamers are at risk of developing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS.) CTS is a syndrome that causes feelings of weakness and pain in your hands due to a pinched nerve. Gamers must take frequent breaks to stretch out their hands.
Here are a few suggestions for how to stretch your fingers for gaming while minimizing fatigue:
- Hold out your arm, fingers facing down and palms facing towards you. With your other hand, gently press your thumb into your palm. Hold this for thirty seconds, then repeat with your palm facing away from you before switching to the other hand. You should feel this stretch in your fingers, hands, wrists, and forearms.
- Press your palms together and keep your elbows facing outwards. Hold this stretch for thirty seconds and repeat if necessary. You should feel this stretch in your wrists and shoulder blades.
- Hold your hands tightly in a fist for a few seconds, then slowly stretch your fingers wide. Repeat this 10–15 times, or however many times you feel the need to. This stretch will help you release all tension in your hands and fingers.
Investing in a stress ball or other fidget toy will help you strengthen your hands. Also, take frequent breaks from holding your controller to rest your hands.
People need food to fuel their minds and bodies. While eating junk food such as chips and candy will give you instant energy, it will also cause you to crash and feel tired shortly after. Healthy meals and snacks before and during the gaming marathon will help you feel good and satiated. Prepping meals and snacks before the marathon will save time and prevent you from reaching for something unhealthy. Prepare meals and snacks high in fiber, protein, and slow-releasing carbohydrates to help you feel fuller for longer.
Some healthy snacks and meal ideas include:
- Nut butter with apple slices.
- Veggies and hummus.
- Wraps or sandwiches.
- Nuts and seeds.
Stretching and Getting Fresh Air
People need regular exercise and stretching for many different reasons, including the upkeep and improvement of one’s mental and physical well-being and cognitive functioning. Take a break or two during a marathon to fit in a quick stretch or exercise routine. Both positively benefit bodies by providing healthy blood flow, joint health, improved muscle strength, and better posture. These can also help you feel energized and clear your mind, which is necessary during a marathon.
Fresh air is necessary to help you lower your stress levels. If taking a quick walk isn’t possible, then at least take the time to step outside for a few minutes. You can also open a window for fresh air to flow into your game environment.
Rest Your Eyes, and Take Deep Breaths
Staring at screens for long periods will cause strain on your eyes. After every hour or so, take a break and close your eyes for a few minutes. While doing this, you can use the opportunity to take a few deep breaths to help regulate your nervous system, allowing you to feel calmer.
Kick Off Your Gaming Marathon with BetMGM
Grab your delicious prepared snacks or meals to stay satiated and your water to stay hydrated. Then, get settled for your tantalizing marathon in your new comfortable chair. Don’t forget to look after your body and mind by taking breaks to stretch, resting your eyes, and even stepping outside for a minute or two.
Register with BetMGM now to explore the endless number of games available for your next gaming marathon.